David Salim med. student, Christoffer Bing Madsen med. student, Magnus Avnstorp MD.
Most surgical knots in skin/tissue reconstruction are conducted by making an instrument tie.
- Grasp leading end of suture material between thumb and index finger
- Bring the needle driver between leading and trailing strand of the suture
- Wrap needle driver twice around the leading strand
- Grasp the trailing end of the suture
- Pull the strands in opposite directions perpendicular to the wound edge
- Release trailing end by the needle driver
- Now wrap needle driver once around the leading strand and grasp the trailing strand while moving hands in opposite directions
- Do the 7th step once more, and you are done.
Video of instrument tie coming soon